Without music, life would be a mistake.
Part of the mission of the CJO is to educate and inspire new generations of jazz listeners, teachers, players, and jazz lovers. In addition to concerts, we do this through our Educational Outreach efforts; unfortunately, this past year forced us to put concerts and in-person events on hold, along with everyone else. Realizing that the pandemic created challenges for schools, teachers, and students, with virtual learning, the CJO sought to help educators and students alike, finding new ways to bring our Educational Outreach efforts to life. We are hoping to continue expanding our efforts, virtually, as well as in-person, when it is safe to do so, and we are asking for support to help us continue inspiring new generations of jazz lovers.
Not only are our CJO musicians master performers, but they are also master educators, committed to furthering music education in Northeast Ohio. All CJO musicians are involved in this important aspect in some fashion-in our universities, public schools, music stores, in private lessons, and as guest artists, clinicians, and in residencies.
Here are some of the new, virtual, educational outreach activities we initiated last spring:
- Instructional Videos – In response to the need for virtual director/student content at the beginning of the pandemic, the CJO created 10 free, educational instructional videos, general and useful to musicians of all ages. These were emailed to our database of band directors, as well as shared on the CJO’s social media platforms. You can find them on the CJO YouTube channel: https://bit.ly/CJOYouTubeHome
- FREE Monthly Band Charts – To address the budget cuts that many local music programs have endured because of COVID-19, the CJO has created and distributed one free piece of original jazz ensemble music each month starting in August 2020 to over 100 schools. This provides students free music that is new and unpublished material.
- Electronic Instruction – CJO musicians have been teaching individual and group lessons via Zoom to the students of the Cleveland Municipal School District. The CJO also recently served as electronic adjudicators for the Lakeland Community College Jazz Festival.
We are so looking forward to the day when we can be in-person, in the classroom, side by side with students, and we that day comes, here are some of the Educational Outreach activities that we offer:
- “Side by Side” Concerts – These concerts typically involve members of the CJO working with high school students in advance of a shared concert date. At the concert, the CJO sits side by side with the sponsor high school ensemble, playing, sight reading, and offering help to the group at large, as well as to each student musician individually. The evening concert then features the sponsor high school group and the CJO performing both together and separately.
- Guest Artists, Adjudicators, Residencies – In a typical year, CJO musicians serve our schools in a variety of ways. CJO musicians can be found featured as guest artists on concerts with area high school jazz ensembles, as judges for jazz festivals, and in dedicated and extended residencies over weeks or months. The CJO will be expanding a residency program with the Cleveland Municipal School District next fall when safely permits.
- Student Tickets – The CJO also offers free tickets to students for most shows. In addition, $10 student tickets are offered to all of our ticketed events.
- Field Trip Experience – In this program, students and their band directors arrive early for a CJO Season Series concert and are given a pre-concert talk and Q & A by several CJO musicians. The participants then all receive free tickets to the evening performance.
*once in-person activities resume
Your generous support can help ensure the continuation of all our Educational Outreach efforts!
What a difference a year makes!
This past year, we’ve shared music recommendations, artist bios, jazz history, and more!
What else would you like to see, listen to, and learn about?
We’d love to hear from you! Drop us a line: Theresa@clevelandjazz.org
Friday night concert!
Join us for another great live stream concert at the Bop Stop this Friday night!
March 26th at 8 p.m.
We will be joined by Eddie Bacchus, Cecil Rucker, and Evelyn Wright!